Road Trip to Colorado | Part 1 | Packing 101
So last weekend my brother in law and his (newly engaged!!!!) fiancé, Kendra, came home from Colorado to visit for Labor Day weekend!
We had a great weekend at the lake as a family.
(If you don’t already know how I feel about family, click here.)
While they we were here we went dress shopping and Kendra invited me (and my little baby sidekick) to come to Denver this coming weekend with my mother-in-law and Kendra’s mom for a bridal fair, venue tours, and a couple more dress parties.
So! Much! Excitement!
A mini vacation!
Count me in!!
Over 500 miles road tripping with a 5 month old. (And that’s only one way.)
They don’t teach you how to do things like this in school, people!
I’m a planner. I like to know what’s happening and what to expect at all times. My OCD tendencies are more than annoying and I over analyze just about everything. This is probably why I found myself staring at three full bags, a stroller, a pack and play, a noise machine, and a stuffed diaper bag on Wednesday night. And that was just for Kreed.
What if he has a blow out? Spits up?
Will he be too hot? Too cold?
3 blankets should work.
Can’t forget the swim trunks…just in case.
Surely he will want the iPad to watch a little Mickey Mouse or Jenna Marbles!
Can’t forget the camera, we will definitely need that.
A whole box of diapers should be plenty, right?
Don’t even get me started on the shoes.
Even after all of that I searched Pinterest for a ‘perfect packing guide for baby’ in case I missed anything. After looking through several I quickly realized that I may have overdone it. I reevaluated my bags and decided I’d share my results for any of you other moms out there struggling to pack for baby’s first road trip!
Here’s what I ended up with Kreed for our 4 day trip:
- Stroller (we will definitely need this for the bridal fair)
- A sleeve of Dipers and Pack of Wipes (it turns out that stores in Colorado sell more if we run out)
- 2 Outfits Per Day (this is less than half of what I had. I realized I could just look at Denvers forecast to have a better idea of what he’d need)
- 3 sets of jamjams (we’ll be staying 3 nights)
- Every bib we own (he gets a little spitty)
- Portioned out cereal in zip-lock bags, ready to be mixed.
- Milk for the cereal
- A bowl and a spoon
- 3 of his favorite toys
- Travel size lotion and bathing wash
It seems like a lot, I know, but I ended up cutting out a whole bag so I’m really happy with it!!!
Things I took out:
- Big Camera- while I would love to bring this I know it’s not necessary since I will have my phone. If we were going to be doing more outdoorsy stuff I would definitely make room for it.
- Pack and Play- Kreed is used to co-sleeping so I’m not sure if he would even tolerate sleeping in it. If anything I can just make a pallet for him on the floor.
- Blankets- I always keep one blanket in the diaper bag and really that should be plenty.
- Shoes- I narrowed it down to 1 pair of shoes and probably don’t even need those. (But…fashion…)
- Toys- I weeded out the majority of the toys and ended up with his 3 favorites.
- Sound Machine- While Kreed really likes having sound when he sleeps in thinking that we can go without for these few days.
Keep in mind that I’m a first time mom taking on a first time road trip so this might not work for everyone, including myself, but I will keep you posted post-trip and let you know how we did!
We leave Friday afternoon and I look forward to sharing our adventures with you next week!
What are some of your road trip essentials for your kids? As Kreed gets older I’m sure our packing list will change quite a bit!
Let me know in the comments below!!